Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Meeting New Patients

After having shadowed Dr. Anwer at his clinic a couple of times, I have come to find that he is an extremely busy doctor. It seems as if the list of patients that he sees in one day is endless and he somehow remembers everything about them, from their treatment regimen to how their family is doing. But I had the privilege to go around and meet a few patients and learn more about different treatment regimens and side effects to Leukemia.

One patient that I met was a female between forty and fifty years old and had been diagnosed with an acute form of Leukemia a couple of years back. She described her pain as being ten out of ten and unbearable, yet she was also suffering from severe depression, so her pain may have seemed worse than it may have been. She also felt extremely nauseous from all of the drugs that she has been taking daily and had poor nutrition. She did not want to eat much, if at all, because she feared she would vomit. Ina addition to seeing the effects that cancer has on someone physically, I also got to see the mental and emotional toll in takes on patients and their families.

Some patients had trouble staying healthy after their bone marrow transplants. Two patients experienced weight gain because the new stem cells had not matured enough causing them to feel weakness. This limited their ability to go out and perform simple exercises such as walking, and caused them to gain weight.

Another patient was a woman between fifty five and six five years old who had a bone marrow transplant five to six years ago. Her blood counts are normal and she experiences no intense pain, yet a side effect of her transplant was scleroderma. Scleroderma is a thickening of the skin that is common in leukemia patients after they have had a bone marrow transplant. It is difficult to try pinch the skin of a patient with scleroderma and the patient can feel stiffness and pain at times.

The main takeaway I received from meeting new patients is the amount of work and commitment necessary to try to fight back against cancer. Each patient had their own schedule in which they write how much of a certain pill they took and during what time of day. The amount of drugs that each of the patients was prescribed to take was really surprising and gave me insight as to how tedious this treatment process is, especially with CLL that can go into remission and return so easily and often.

I look forward to continuing with my project, conducting my own independent research, and shadowing Dr. Anwer. I look forward to meeting new patients and learning about their unique stories, situations, and issues. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read my blog, and if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below. Have a nice day. 

1 comment:

  1. Chemicals used in industries gives me Leukemia and it's all started when I wanted to get off my job to get another job that when I got diagnose, at that very point I was so scared to die because it has infected my blood cells also I was prescribed drugs like Cyclophosphamide,Busulfan,Bosutinib,Cytarabine, Cytosar-U (Cytarabine),Dasatinib in all that was just to keep me waiting for my dying day. I got inspired by what I read from a lady on blog spot on how Dr God hands cure her HIV/Aids with herbal medicine then they were lettered below that says he can cure Cancer so I pick his contact on the testimony she wrote then I emailed Dr God hands hopefully he replied swiftly to my mail then I purchased his Herbal medicine also it was shipped to me here in Texas, I went to pick it at post office so he instructs me on how the treatment will take me three weeks to cure my Leukemia Disease, Joyfully I was cured by this Dr God hands Herbal Medicine.
    I will advise you too to give a try to Dr God hands Herbal Medicine with the following diseases that he can help you cure permanently such diabetes, Herpes, HIV/Aids, Bladder Cancer, Breast Cancer,Parkinson's disease,Lung Cancer, Breast Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer,Arthritis,Fibromyalgia,Adrenocortical carcinoma. Asthma, Cold, Glaucoma, Cardiovascular disease, Lung disease, Enlarged prostate, Alzheimer's disease, Dementia, Vaginal Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Lung Cancer, Skin Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo_Rectal Cancer, Leukemia Cancer, Hepatitis, Brain Tumors, Love Spell, Infertility, Hpv. GoodLuck, XoXo****Dr Owo Ibuku Also known as Doctor God hands Contact Information:::Email (doctorgodhands@gmail.com) WhatsApp-(+2349057214220)

    ReplyDelete